Graduate Studies Admission requirements
Applications for degree programs will be considered for admission when the following items have been received:
- A completed A.W. Tozer Theological Seminary application form. This can be done completely online.
* See application for forms and guidelines.
- An official transcript sent directly to the Admissions Office from an accredited institution, showing completion of a bachelor's degree; or, for applicants who do not have a bachelor's degree, official transcripts sent directly to the Admissions Office from each educational institution the student has attended after high school.
- Evidence that the applicant has achieved a 2.5 GPA (on a 4-point scale) for the last 60 semester credits of pre-graduate baccalaureate work.
- Two references mailed directly to the Admissions Office from persons who know the student well. References include a pastor/elder and an academic reference.*
- Short Answer Response Form.*
NOTE: A $100 deposit upon acceptance into the seminary.
An application should be completed by the following deadlines to ensure a smooth matriculation into Tozer Seminary:
- Fall semester……………………… August 15
- Spring semester…………………… December 15
- Summer semester………………… April 15
In order to be admitted with regular status into A. W. Tozer Theological Seminary, applicants must have a completed bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited academic institution with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher. It is possible to be admitted with probationary status.
Applicants for whom English is not their first language must take the TOEFL exam as part of their application to Tozer Seminary. The minimum required score is 583 (paper), 240 (computer), or 94 (Internet). For more information about the TOEFL exam, visit the TOEFL website.
Biblical languages. Students who have graduated from an accredited Christian college/university or Bible college and have taken Hebrew and/or Greek may receive advanced standing with credit, subject to the successful completion of a Hebrew and/or Greek placement exam. The placement exam is administered by the Dean's office. Contact the Dean's office for more information or to schedule a placement exam.
- Transfer credit is not given for courses where a grade lower than "B" has been given.
- Transfer credit may not total more than half of a degree program.
- Transfer credit must be for courses similar to those offered in degree programs at Tozer Seminary.
- Transfer credit will only be given to graduate-level courses completed at a properly accredited graduate program.
- Courses that are more than 10 years old at the time of transfer require approval of the Tozer Seminary Academic Council. The review of the appeal will be based in part on how the student has used the learning from those older courses since those credits were earned, as well as how the student has built upon those credits through personal and professional development. Students may be requested to submit documentation in this regard.
- Transfer credits from schools on a quarter system transfer as follows:
- 5 quarter hours = 3.35 semester hours
- 4 quarter hours = 2.68 semester hours
- 3 quarter hours = 2.01 semester hours
- 2 quarter hours = 1.34 semester hour
- 1 quarter hour = 0.67 semester hour
In all cases, the final decision regarding transfer of credits is determined by the Registrar.
Applications for students wishing to take up to 12 units for credit, but who do not plan to pursue one of Tozer Seminary's degree programs, may be enrolled as non-degree-seeking students. Non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for financial aid. An application will be considered for admission when the following items have been received:
- A completed Non-Degree Application form.*
* Application forms and guidelines are available at the A.W. Tozer Theological Seminary website.
- An official college transcript verifying the student's bachelor's degree.
- A reference from a pastor/elder.
- $20 non-refundable application fee.
Students who are undecided about a degree program may enroll in Tozer Seminary as non-degree students and take up to 12 units before enrolling in a degree program. Non-degree-seeking students are ineligible for financial aid.
A student enrolled in another accredited seminary or graduate school may be admitted as a visiting student at Tozer Seminary for up to 12 units (4 courses) subject to the following criteria:
- A completed Visiting Student Application form.*
Application forms and guidelines are available at the A.W. Tozer Theological seminary website.
- A letter from the Registrar of the student's primary school indicating that he or she is in good standing.
- $20 non-refundable application fee
Visiting student status is valid for four years. A visiting student who wishes to enroll in a degree must complete the application process for that program. Visiting students are not eligible for student financial aid.
Applications for students wishing to audit a course will be considered for admission when the following has been received:
- A completed Audit Application form.*
*Application forms and guidelines are available at the A.W. Tozer Theological Seminary website.
- $20 application fee.
Auditor status is granted for 12 units at a 50 percent discount of the usual tuition. Auditing students are ineligible for student financial aid.
Registered students may not change from credit to audit, except if done so in the proper time frame.