Simpson University Student Research Symposium
Some of the students who participated in the 7th annual Student Research Symposium were, from left: Sarah Blumert, Rachel Crew, Amy Pollard, Amber Soldahl, Garrett Struwe, Heidi Sundquist, Dillon Stetler, Sophia Williams, and Kathryn Paradis.
“The academy has many rich traditions, but the sharing of scholarly work in an
open forum is one of its finest.”
- Dr. Stanley Clark, Simpson University provost (2005-2012)
The Student Research Symposium is an annual, daylong event where students from Simpson University’s undergraduate, Adult Studies and graduate programs present talks, posters or panel discussions on a wide variety of topics. The public is invited to attend the 10- to 30-minute presentations or facilitated poster sessions.
The symposium began in 2011 as a faculty initiative to give Simpson students an opportunity to share their research outside the classroom. The symposium was opened to regional high school students in 2018. Divided into morning and afternoon sessions, with a lunchtime plenary address, the symposium is modeled after professional academic conferences.
Preliminary Call for Proposals for the 11th Annual Simpson Student Research Symposium
On Thursday, March 25th, 2020, Simpson University will hold the 11th Annual Student Research Symposium (SRS ‘21) on campus. The organizing committee encourages students from the traditional undergraduate program, the adult degree-completion program, graduate programs, and local high schools to submit proposals for presentations at the event.
The theme for the 11th Annual SRS is Relationship. Students and their sponsoring faculty are asked to creatively consider the ways in which the concept of “relationship” can help us to understand the world God created and our human condition. At a liberal arts university like Simpson, faculty and students are able to engage in conversations and study that address the relationships that challenge our society today. In fact, the idea of a Christian university is one that encourages dialogue across disciplines in order to appreciate the complex relationships that govern families, communities, churches, institutions, as well as theology, law, science, nature, politics, communication, art, music, and technology.
The committee welcomes presentations in three different formats: individual talk, poster, or panel discussion. Please view the information below for detailed descriptions of each format, instructions on how to submit a proposal, and deadlines. Submissions must be made electronically at the official SRS website between November 15, 2020 and February 15, 2021.
11th Annual Student Research Symposium
- Symposium Date: Thursday, March 25, 2021
- Proposal Submissions: Call for proposals will officially open on Nov. 15, 2020
- Proposal Deadline: All proposals will need to be submitted by Feb. 15, 2021
- Theme: Relationship
Schedules & Abstracts
Press Releases and News Coverage
- 03.24.2020 - Simpson University Student Research Symposium Celebrates 10 Years of Scholarship
- 03.04.2020 - Simpson University 10th Annual Student Research Symposium to Feature ‘Live’ Painting
- 03.21.2020 - Simpson University Students Honored at Research Symposium
- 03.06.2020 - Simpson University Invites Community to 9th Annual Student Research Symposium
- 02.27.2018 - Simpson University Holds Eighth Annual Student Research Symposium
- 03.08.2017 - Simpson Students Honored at Research Symposium
- 02.23.2017 - Simpson University Holds Seventh Annual Student Research Symposium
- 03.24.2016 - Simpson University Students Honored at Research Symposium
- 03.03.2016 - Simpson University Holds Sixth Annual Student Research Symposium
- 03.11.2015 - Simpson University Students Honored at Research Symposium
- 03.02.2015 - Simpson University Holds Fifth Annual Student Research Symposium
- 02.13.2015 - Student Research Symposium and New Programs Highlighted on Local Radio Show
- 03.06.2014 - Simpson University Students Honored at Research Symposium
- 02.25.2014 - Simpson University Holds Fourth Annual Student Research Symposium
- 01.30.2014 - Simpson University to Honor Student Research with Six Awards
- 03.12.2013 - Simpson University Students Share Work at Academic Symposium
- 02.20.2013 - Simpson University Holds Third Annual Student Research Symposium – Community Welcome to Attend
- 02.16.2012 - Simpson Holds Second Annual Student Research Symposium