Applying for Financial Aid

  1. File the FAFSA: be sure to list Simpson University as your first school choice.
    • Undergraduate students: File your FAFSA by March 2 as this is one requirement of the Early Deposit Advantage Program (EDAP) in order to qualify for priority awarding.
    • Pay close attention to your housing plan and enrollment status!
    • Simpson University's Title IV School Code is 001291.

    Each year you need financial aid, you must complete a new or renewal Free Application for Federal Student Aid, commonly referred to as the FAFSA. The information provided on the FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for all types of aid at Simpson University.

    The fastest and easiest way to apply for financial aid is to use the FAFSA on the Web. In order that you are prepared, Simpson University encourages you to complete a FAFSA Worksheet ahead of time. It is recommended that you save your year-end payroll stub if it shows earnings for the year. Income estimates are allowed on the FAFSA, but your aid is less likely to be affected if you and your parent(s) complete income taxes prior to filing your FAFSA and use actual income figures from your tax return.

    Video: How to File your FAFSA

    Video used with permission from the Department of Education

    A U.S. Department of Education Personal Identification Number, or PIN, allows you to electronically sign and submit FAFSA on the Web. If you need a duplicate PIN or do not have a PIN, apply for one before submitting the FAFSA on the Web. If you are providing parent information, one parent must sign your FAFSA. To electronically sign, your parent must also apply for a PIN.

    The PIN allows you to electronically sign and submit FAFSA on the Web.

  2. Cal Grant: Undergraduate and ASPIRE students, if you are a California resident and wish to be considered for the Cal Grant, be sure to apply by March 2. To apply, file the FAFSA and have a GPA Verification Form submitted by the officials at your last school of attendance.
    • If you received a Cal Grant last year, you do not need to submit a GPA Verification Form.
    • School of Education credential students, if you were a previous Cal Grant recipient you may be eligible to renew your Cal Grant award for an additional year. The additional year of payment is provided to students who are seeking an initial teaching credential and cannot be used for other graduate level courses of study. Please file a "Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Program Benefits" (G-44 Form) with the California Student Aid Commission.

  3. Graduate Students:
    • A.W. Tozer Theological Seminary Students: All applicants and returning students will receive an email containing information regarding financial aid. A link to a financial aid application, that will assist Student Financial Services in determining your financial aid,​ will be contained within that email. To be considered for financial aid the application will need to be completed.
      • If you are a current recipient of a children/youth/young adult pastor award you must annually submit a letter of support (recommendation letter) verifying your position.
    • School of Education Students:
      • New students complete your initial advisement sheet with the School of Education. Student Financial Services will automatically receive a copy.
      • Current students are responsible to notify Student Financial Services of any changes to their advisement sheet.
  4. Acceptance: New students in all programs must file a FAFSA and be granted acceptance into Simpson University before a financial aid award will be created.

  5. Verification: This is a process required by the Department of Education that some federal financial aid applicants will be required to complete to ensure that a student's information provided on the FAFSA is accurate. You will be notified if you are selected for verification upon completion of the FAFSA. You will be asked to submit additional information to Simpson University, including but not limited to, your federal tax return information and W2s. To avoid delays, please return all requested documents in a timely manner. The verification worksheets are available on the Student Financial Services Forms page.

  6. Award Letter: This will reflect the financial aid you are eligible to receive based on your program of study, enrollment plans, and FAFSA information. Award letters can be viewed through your WebAdvisor account.

  7. Student Loans: If you are interested in student loans please view our Student Loan page for additional information.


Simpson University staff members are here to assist you with the financial aid process.

Incoming students – contact your admissions counselor at 888-9-SIMPSON or

Continuing students – contact a Student Financial Services adviser at 530-226-4621 or

Do not forget to apply for outside aid from local and national organizations. You can access several resources from our site.