WorldSERVE (Student Missions)
As our motto “gateway to world service” states, Simpson University is committed to developing world servants who play a vital role in God’s story of redeeming the lost.
Every fall, we invite students to join a WorldSERVE team and take a yearlong discipleship journey which includes a short-term service project. The main objective is that students would BE DISCIPLED here, in order to MAKE DISCIPLES in the nations. It’s really not about the “trip.” It’s about the discipleship journey, both in us and to the ends of the earth.
See what students are saying about WorldSERVE.
And if that doesn't convince you... read Jesus' own words!
"Go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you." - Matthew 28:19
"The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." - Luke 10:2
"I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb." - Revelation 7:9
Be Discipled. Make Disciples.
We believe that short-term service projects can be an incredible tool for facilitating discipleship. As part of a WorldSERVE team, students get to simultaneously BE Discipled by their student leaders, team mentors and field workers, while MAKING Disciples in partnership with their long-term workers and through the relationships they build on the field.
All team members commit to a three-part discipleship process during the year: pre-field, on the field, and post-field.
- Monthly Trainings (times of teaching and preparation led by WorldSERVE staff)
- Weekly Team Time (team building, prayer, Bible study, and task preparation in teams)
- Mentorship (by a Simpson faculty/staff person who meets regularly with the team)
- 30 Hour Famine training weekend, Workshops, and summer Commissioning Retreat
- We have partnered with some incredible field workers in their long-term vision to reach lost peoples.
- We choose our field partners carefully and desire to come alongside what they are already doing in order to spur on their vision for reaching the unreached.
- We trust that we’re part of a bigger picture and that God will further their disciple-making efforts long after we're gone.
- intentional debriefing times with their team
- joining follow-up group sessions at the beginning of the fall semester to take the lessons learned on the field and apply them to their lives back at home.
- praying that we will have fresh energy, passion and creativity for continuing to make disciples of all nations in whatever harvest field we find ourselves -- from within the church, to the corporate marketplace, to the ends of the earth.
From January to May, our teams will BE Discipled through:
For 10 days to 6 weeks, our teams will be sent around the world to MAKE DISCIPLES:
Upon returning home, students will continue their discipleship journey through:
“COME and SEE what God has done, his awesome deeds for mankind!”
- Psalm 66:5
We have been invited by some incredible field workers to COME AND SEE what God is doing as they proclaim His goodness to the ends of the earth! From Chicago to Chile, God is at work through His people. So we go simply to encourage and further their existing ministries where we have been asked to assist.
Prayerfully read the descriptions below to determine your top three field choices, then be ready to say YES to God wherever he might send you! It is not guaranteed that you will be placed on your first-choice team, so we ask that you remain available and open to God leading you in a new direction! Applications will be due November 1.
The following locations, projects, dates, and costs are subject to change! Please choose now to BE FLEXIBLE and patient as details are confirmed and plans change regularly!
Visit our blog for a full description of each of the following teams.
Spring Break CitySERVE
|Chicago: Inner-City Youth||Spring Break, 8 days||$1200||10-12|
|Olympia: Anti-Trafficking||Spring Break, 7 days||$700||8-10|
|Redding: Love Shasta||Spring Break, 7 days||$400||10-12|
|Oakland: Urban Plunge||Spring Break, 5 days||$400||8-10|
|El Salvador: Village Outreach||May, 2 weeks||$2800||10-12|
|Dominican Republic: Church Partnership||May, 2 weeks||$2800||8-10|
|Thailand: University Students||May, 3 weeks||$3100||6-8|
|Taiwan: Business as Missions||May, 3 weeks||$3100||6-8|
|**Eastern Europe: University Students||May, 4 weeks||$3300||6-8|
|**South East Asia: Cultural Immersion||May, 4 weeks||$3300||6-8|
|**Poland: Youth Discipleship||May, 4 weeks||$3300||6-8|
|**Middle East: Community Center||May-June, 6 weeks||$3400||4-6|
|**Russia: Youth Camp||June, 4 weeks||$3300||8-10|
|**Ukraine: MK Camp||June, 4 weeks||$3300||8-10|
|Chile: Sports||July, 3 weeks||$3100||8-10|
|**East Asia: English Camps||July, 4 weeks||$3300||4-6|
*PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TRIP COSTS LISTED ARE ONLY ESTIMATES OF WHAT THE ACTUAL COST MAY BE.
**These teams can potentially fulfill the requirements for a 4 week cross-cultural studies or TESOL internship, but any student is welcome to apply.
|Our Facebook Group|
|Read the WorldSERVE blog|
|Instagram (@suworldserve #worldserve)|
Director of Spiritual Formation
2211 College View Dr.