Credential Programs

  • Single Subject Credential

    A single subject credential authorizes the holder to teach specific subject matter content in a departmentalized setting, generally grades 7 through 12. This page provides a general overview of the program. For specific details and application information, please contact Enrollment Services at (530) 226-4527.

    Single Subject Supplementary Authorization(s) allows the holder to teach a specific subject in a departmentalized setting up through the 9th grade. For example, an English Supplementary Authorization would allow the holder to teach English classes in many junior high schools, middle schools, and freshman-level courses at the high-school level. This has the potential to broaden employment opportunities.

    There are 18 credits of core courses required prior to student teaching. Student teaching is for 15 weeks in either the fall or spring.

    Current single-subject credential holders may add an additional single-subject credential by passing the appropriate CSET subject-matter tests plus a 3-credit course in curriculum instruction in that subject area.

    Current single subject credential holders may add the multiple-subject credential by passing the CSET for multiple-subject, the Reading Instruction Competency Assessment (RICA), completing a 3-credit multiple subject curriculum course, and the course Language Arts for Elementary.

  • Multiple Subject Credential

    A multiple subject credential authorizes the holder to teach all subject matter content in a self-contained setting, generally kindergarten through grade 6. This web page provides a general overview of the program. For specific details and application information, please contact Enrollment Services at (530) 226-4527.

    California has comparability with many other states, meaning that a California teaching credential is honored in those states.

    A full-time multiple subject student may complete all credential requirements in as few as two consecutive academic semesters, plus one week in a third semester. However, students are strongly encouraged to use three semesters, plus one week.

    There are 18 credits of core courses required prior to student teaching. Student teaching is a 15 week experience in either the fall or spring semester at two different grade levels and two different schools.  One-half of the student teaching can be at a non-public school in California, other states or countries. 

    A Single Subject Supplementary Authorization(s) allows the holder to teach a specific subject in a departmentalized setting up through grade 9. For example, an English Supplementary Authorization would allow the holder to teach English classes in many junior high schools, middle schools, and freshman-level courses at the high school level. This has the potential to broaden employment opportunities.

    Current multiple-subject credential holders may add the single-subject credential by passing the required CSET exams and completing a 3-credit single-subject curriculum course.

Site Course Plans

Credential Resources

Students seeking a California Preliminary Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential should choose to major in Liberal Studies. The addition of the Education Minor may shorten the credentialing process. Students will receive advisement counseling regarding the use of the Education Minor courses.

Completion of the preliminary credential includes a post-Baccalaureate semester of student teaching. Multiple subjects candidates may, with the Dean's approval, choose to do half of their student teaching in their home community, nationally or internationally.

Simpson University's Preliminary Teaching Credential for Multiple Subjects and Single Subject are fully accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

  • Required Courses
    These courses should be taken in conjunction with the Liberal Studies major:
    • EDUC 2000 Intro to Education (3, Sp)
    • EDUC 4020 Psychological Applications in Education (3)
    • EDUC 4400 Language Arts (4)
    • EDUC 4420 Curriculum and Instruction (5)
    • EDUC 4250 Technology for Teaching and Learning (3)
    • EDUC 4460 Multicultural Instruction (3)
    • EDUC 4610 Teaching Performance Assessment 1 (0)
  • Post-baccalaureate Courses
    These courses are taken post-baccalaureate to complete the Preliminary Teaching Credential (14):
    • ED 5440/5441 Student Teaching (10)
    • ED 5601 Student Teaching Performance Development A (5)
    • ED 5602 Student Teaching Performance Development B (5)
    • ED 5620 Teaching Performance Assessment 2 (0)
    • ED 5630 Teaching Performance Assessment 3 (0)
    • ED 5640 Teaching Performance Assessment 4 (0)
    • ED 5660 Induction Preparation (1)
    • ED 6000 Philosophical Foundations in Education (2)

Student teaching in local elementary schools (for multiple-subject candidates) or secondary schools (for single-subject candidates) is for 15 weeks, under the guidance of a university supervisor with the cooperation of master teachers. Candidates gain experience in multicultural settings and in regular classrooms. 

Student teaching is done in cooperation with public schools. For multiple-subject candidates, there may be opportunity for one of the two assignments to be in a non-public school or in a foreign country. 

  • Credential Analyst

    Becky Shaughnessy
    Credential Analyst 
    (530) 226-4942 

    Candidates should meet with the credential analyst as soon as possible after the final admissions interview with the School of Education faculty to apply for a Certificate of Clearance. This allows you to observe and participate in local K-12 classrooms. The process includes a live-scan of fingerprints and an accompanying fee.

    Submission for a certificate of clearance is required to be able to attend the first course in teaching credentialing which has observation requirements.

    Job Placement File Information provides information related to setting up and maintaining a professional placement file through the School of Education. Related documents include the Placement Cover Form; the form for; "student waiver of right to inspect letters of reference in a Simpson University placement file;" and the Registration for Placement Service form. These forms can be obtained at the School of Education office.

  • Credentialing Resource Links



    Renew Credentials

    The following link will direct you to Simpson University's California Teaching Credential license passage rates:

  • Teacher Performance Assessments

    Teacher Performance Assessments (CalTPAs) are required by the State of California in order to fulfill the requirements for a California Teaching Credential. They consist of four tasks; Subject Specific Pedagogy, Designing Instruction, Assessing Learning, and Culminating Teaching Experience. The first task is completed during coursework. It consists of four case studies. The other tasks, directly related to classroom experiences, are completed during student teaching. The tasks are scored by assessors who have been trained and calibrated through the State of California. Candidates must achieve score levels of 3 or 4 in order to pass. The candidate must pass all four tasks in order to apply for a California Teaching Credential. Students will be required to set up a Taskstream account to enable scoring of their TPA's.

    Click here to learn more about TPA requirements.

  • Commonly Asked Questions
    • Q: How long is the program?

      A: The sequence used by most candidates includes two semesters of coursework and one semester of student teaching followed by the one week course, Philosophical Foundations in Education.

    • Q: What is the ASPIRE/Ed Minor Program?

      A: Undergraduates in the traditional day program or ASPIRE degree-completion program may take their credentialing coursework while earning their B.A. degree. They spread the credentialing coursework (five courses) over several semesters. Once they graduate, they can begin student teaching.

    • Q: Are there grants or loans available for teacher credentialing?

      A: Yes, there are several packages, even some to assume your loans if you teach in a low-performing school. Talk to the enrollment counselor in admissions. Simpson has an excellent support system to help students navigate the ins and outs of financial aid.

    • Q: Can I start any fall or spring semester?

      A: Yes, each course meets one day a week during the fall and spring semesters. There are also courses available during the summer.

    • Q: What tests do I take?

      A: Multiple Subjects: CSET for multiple subjects, CBEST or CSET Test IV on writing, RICA for multiple-subject candidates only (a test to assess how you teach reading); Single Subjects: CBEST, CSET for your single-subject area (or the CSET can be waived if you have a subject waiver degree). Multiple and Single Subjects:  An additional assessment is the Teaching Performance Assessment. This is not a paper-pencil test, but a portfolio of documents and videos you make to show you understand and can teach in several areas. You are guided through the four assessments during your coursework and student teaching.

    • Q: Can I keep working at my job? 

      A: Yes, you can during coursework semesters, but since student teaching is all day for a whole semester (15 weeks) it would not allow time for outside work. Student teachers are involved with teaching the same hours as their master teachers, plus some extra. Please note that if you take all 18 units of coursework in one semester, you will have about 52 hours a week devoted to this program (18 hours in class, about 5 hours a week observing in the schools, and two hours of study for every hour you are in class = 52 hours). You may choose to spread the 18 units over two semesters, then student teach the third semester. We highly recommend splitting coursework over two semesters.

    • Q: How many courses are there?

      A: Nine plus student teaching and TPAs. You can take the first five the first semester (18 units), although we recommend spreading them over two semesters. The five core classes are Language Arts, Curriculum and Instruction, Multicultural Education, Psychology, Technology in Teaching and Learning. Next is Student Teaching, Student Teaching Performance Development, and once a week seminars that include instruction on health safety, teaching special populations, philosophical foundations in education, and induction preparation. The State of California also requires a course on the U.S. Constitution (Shasta College 17A & 17B, Pols 2, or Simpson HIST 2330 and HIST 2340). There is also a test option online. The new teacher credentialing law, SB 2042, is designed so you will receive your preliminary credential from an institution, like Simpson University. Then after you are hired, you will have a two-year induction program in which you are given a mentor to guide you through your first two years of teaching. At the end of this time you are recommended for your clear credential by the induction program called BTSA (Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment).

    • Q: How do I get started?

      A: You can apply online today by filling out our Online Application for Admission. You can also contact Enrollment Services at (530) 226-4606 or 1-888-9-SIMPSON. They will give you guidance on the Admission Process. You may also visit the School of Education Office, Grubbs Learning Center (library), Room 101, and we will be happy to talk with you.

    • Q: Are fingerprints and TB clearance necessary?

      A: Before you can begin the credentialing courses, you must complete your fingerprint submission and TB clearance required by law. We will help you with this in our Education Office. Do the fingerprints early since they can take awhile to get back. The cost will be around $100.

    • Q: What else is special about Simpson's Education Program?

      A: We have the best program! Our students have a great reputation for being excellent beginning teachers. The area administrators tell us they like to hire our teachers -- new Simpson teachers know their stuff, and you can even student teach overseas. Our newest component is iPad training. An iPad comes with your program.

      Your professors are

      • Dr. Carol Wertz (Multicultural Instruction, Language Arts for Elementary, Director of TPA, Director of Student Teaching)
      • Dr. Ron McGraw (Psychology)
      • Dr. Tom Forbes (Technology, Philosophy)
      • Professor Matt Garrett (Language Arts for Secondary)
      • Dr. Paul Jones (Curriculum and Instruction for Secondary)
      • Dr. Craig Scott, Dean of Education
      • Professor David Peek (TPA Support)
      • Professor Allison Brogoitti (Curriculum and Instruction for Elementary)
      • Dr. Edward Mooney (Liberal Studies Chair, Psychology)
      • Dr. Cynthia Magnuson (Multicultural Instruction)

"The quality instruction I received at Simpson, the expertise and guidance of a true Master Teacher and the support from an excellent administrator, have allowed me to grow into a confident beginning teacher."Maria Hill, M.A. Ed/AET

"Your class has changed the way I think about teaching for the better."Jeff Reid

"Thank you to each of you for helping build me into the teacher I am today. The Lord used each of your strong knowledge bases to prepare me for the challenges I face in the classroom on a daily basis. There are hard moments, but they are forever worth it because of the impact I know it will have on my student's future. Thank you for pushing, challenging, supporting, and encouraging me throughout my journey to become a teacher!"Holly (Gilbreth) Atkinson

Simpson University Inquiry Form

Contact Information
Program Information

Simpson University School of Educaiton: Master the He(art) of Teaching