In alignment with the Simpson University diversity statement, the purpose of the Diversity Committee is to educate the campus about the importance of diversity, inclusivity, and cultural sensitivity. We aim to facilitate, plan and support initiatives designed to enhance diversity of the campus while gathering and interpreting information regarding the overall campus climate with respect to diversity. The Diversity Committee reports to the President’s Cabinet regarding initiatives, plans and climate of the campus.
Simpson University faculty, staff and students make up the members of the Diversity Committee, which is chaired by a faculty representative, appointed by the President. Additional non-employee members participate as advisors to help give voice and support to issues faced by our students and community.
Diversity Committee Charter
Current Initiatives and Events
- Ongoing online and in-person campus trainings related to issues of diversity and inclusion
- Faculty and staff participation in CCCU Diversity and Inclusion Conference
- Staff, faculty and student participation in Biola’s Student Congress on Racial Reconciliation (SCORR)
- The Table - A faculty and staff small group experience meeting two times in one semester for 1 ½ hours each meeting that centers around the person of Jesus and considers topics of diversity and inclusion through the lens of Scripture, the incorporation of a current topic, inclusion of volunteer personal testimony and group discussion.
- Reading and Discussion Groups – A small group experience centered around a particular book option related to the chosen topic of engagement for the year meeting three times in one semester for 1 hour.
- Library display highlighting topic of the year and including print and electronic resources
- Intentional contributions to University Chapel programming
- Diversity Week (October)
The Diversity Committee is committed to helping to facilitate events and programs on campus that spread education, inclusion and healing on the issues regarding diversity. If you have an event or idea that you would like us to partner with, please contact us. Additionally, there are many community and campus resources that we can connect you to if you have specific concerns or questions.
Diversity Committee Contacts
Committee Chair – Irene T. Lopez, M.A.Ed. - Dean of Education and Diversity
Email – email@example.com
2020-2021 Diveresity Committee Members:
- Andrew Tuggle, Director of the Veterans Success Center
- Curley R. Wilson, Assistant Director of Student Financial Services
- Derrick Pringle, Assistant Director of Athletics
- Jose Palos, Director of Spiritual Formation
- Kieun Steve Kim, D.M.A., Assistant Professor of Music, Director of Choral Activities
- Louis Burkwhat, Director of the Academic Success Center
- Marcela Palos, Career Services Counselor
- Mark Endraske, M.A., Dean of Students & Member of President's Cabinet
- Roy Melendez, Executive Director of Advancement
- Scott Studebaker, Director of Gatehouse Ministries
- Beatriz Cigarroa, Student Representative
- Gabriel Kerrihard, Student Representative