Graduate PLUS Loan
Graduate students are eligible for this loan, in addition to Stafford loans, to help with educational expenses up to the cost of attendance. This is a credit based loan. You can borrow any amount up to but not exceeding the amount on your award letter. PLUS loans disbursed after July 1, 2014 and before July 1, 2015 will have an interest rate of 7.21%.
Request the annual amount desired. (Keep in mind there is an origination fee. See below for current percentage.) If you will be enrolled for multiple terms within the financial aid year, the amount you request here will be evenly divided among each term.
The Graduate PLUS request can be completed on the Department of Education website, http://studentloans.gov. The following steps should be completed to request a Graduate PLUS loan:
- Complete the Graduate PLUS loan application form through http://studentloans.gov.
- If you are denied for a PLUS loan, you may choose to pursue an endorser or appeal the decision.
- PLUS Counseling is required if the U.S. Department of Education has informed you that you have an adverse credit history and you have:
- Obtained an endorser or
- Documented extenuating circumstances to the satisfaction of the U.S. Department of Education.
- Complete a Master Promissory Note if you are a first time Graduate PLUS loan borrower through the DIRECT loan program.
- Complete Graduate PLUS Loan Entrance Counseling if you are a first time Graduate PLUS loan borrower.
A credit check will be run to determine if you are eligible for a Graduate PLUS loan once the Graduate PLUS loan application form is completed.
All Graduate PLUS loans are subject to an origination fee. This fee is taken from the gross loan amount prior to disbursement. This fee is as follows:
- Direct PLUS loans first disbursed on or after October 1, 2014 and before October 1, 2015: 4.292%
NOTE: You will need your FSA ID to login into this website.