Spanish Language & Culture
- Standard 1.1: Students will be able to engage in conversations, provide and obtain information, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions.
- Standard 1.2: Students will be able to understand and interpret written and spoken language on a variety of topics.
- Standard 1.3: Students will be able to present information, concepts, and ideas to an audience of listeners or readers on a variety of topics.
- Standard 2.1: Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the practices and perspectives of the culture studied.
- Standard 2.2: Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the products and perspectives of the culture studied.
- Standard 3.1: Students will be able to reinforce and further their knowledge of other disciplines through the foreign language.
- Standard 3.2: Students will be able to acquire information and recognize the distinctive viewpoints that are only available through the foreign language and its cultures.
- Standard 4.1: Students will be able to demonstrate understanding of the nature of language through comparisons of the language studied and their own.
- Standard 4.2: Students will be able to demonstrate understanding of the concept of culture through comparisons of the cultures studied and their own.
- Standard 5.1: Students will be able to use the language both within and beyond the school setting.
- Standard 5.2: Students will be able to show evidence of becoming life-long learners by using the language for personal enjoyment and enrichment.
Major Specific Resources
- Simpson University Spanish Major Facebook Page
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish & Portuguese Twitter Feed (@AATSPglobal)
- @DeboraRager (Twitter Feed)
Study Abroad Opportunities
“The professors within and outside of my major were really supportive and really cared. They were really amazing examples of what I truly think it means to be an educator.” — Erika Villegas, class of 2010
"Taking Spanish at Simpson University is a very beneficial way to improve your Spanish as well as broaden your understanding and knowledge of the Spanish speaking culture. The classes focus on communication and conversation, which are key factors while learning another language. It offers a safe environment to discover and grow in Spanish speaking with the help and encouragement of the professor. Spanish classes have a productive balance between writing, interactive speaking, and reading comprehension, whether you are a beginner or advanced in the language." — Cortney McLeod, Current Student
"Here at Simpson University, we are proud to be the gateway to world service to develop and expand the kingdom of the Lord our God. The best opportunity in my opinion that we have here to develop ourselves as well equipped servants of Him, is to study Spanish. This skill alone has its practical perks such as higher salary and job priority but more so, it allows us to be able to communicate with more people we encounter in our daily endeavors. Simpson University’s Spanish department seeks to develop our language skills while emphasizing the development of us as better Christians, thus making it the best place to study the language." — Brooke Mejorado, Current Student