Our biotechnology major is designed to give you a strong, broad-based background in the biological sciences with an emphasis on technologic advances made in the “post-genomic era”. This will provide preparation for the job market as well as for graduate work in biotechnology or related disciplines. The biotechnology program has a special emphasis on bioethics allowing students to formulate their approach to science in a Christian atmosphere which allows individuals to explore the tough moral and ethical question that the biotechnology field poses.
Students declaring a Biotechnology major take the same classes as students declaring a Biology major during their freshman and sophomore years. During the junior and senior years the Biotechnology majors take their major-specific classes.
- Attain a foundation of broad-based knowledge in biotechnology as well as the physical sciences.
- Master the use of laboratory techniques specific to those fields in order to acquire meaningful data.
- Practice keenly analyzing and evaluating scientific information, and gain the ability to propose future paths for investigation.
- Develop the communication skills needed in order to read, write, and present scientific information with excellence.
- Explore the intersections among Christian morality and worldviews, scientific inquiry, and decision-making.